Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Food in Nicaragua


Food in Nicaragua is very good, not as limited as in say, Cuba, and offers up such typical dishes as rice and beans (Gallo Pinto - a mixture of fried rice with onion and sweet pepper, red beans boiled with garlic, mixed and fried together.), chicken, beef, pork dishes fresh fish, tropical fruits, shell fish such as lobster and shrimp, fried cheese and plantain. There is also salads you can eat. Eggs with rice are served for breakfast.

My favorites, believe it or not were the rice and beans and the fish and lobster. Yum, yum, good! They call the daily diet of the Nicaraguans "comida typico." You can eat comida typico or what they call "international foods - which is anything you can get anywhere else in the world. They also eat a lot of corn and corn based foods such as Nacatamal and tortillas. Nacatamal is made of pork or chicken, with rice, potatoes, tomatoes, onion, sweet pepper, packed in plantain leaves and boiled for a long time. I tried it, but I didn’t like it that much. I wanted to try it because it is one of the most famous and well known dishes of Nicaragua.

In season, you can eat a wide variety of tropical fruits which grow in abundance in Nicaragua. While I was there, I had a variety of melons, watermelons, mangos, and lots of pineapples. There were also many tropical fruits I’d never heard off before.

The food is generally healthy, organically grown and very tasty. I didn’t gain weight in Nicaragua maybe because the food is pure and I did lots of walking.

Nicaragua also grows coffee and I had plenty of their organic fresh coffee. You can also drink many kinds of fresh fruit drinks, fruit smoothies, (sometimes with rum in them), wine and Nicaraguan beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment